POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : freeBSD without X : Re: freeBSD without X Server Time
6 Oct 2024 14:13:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: freeBSD without X
From: pavium
Date: 26 Nov 2002 22:55:03
Message: <web.3de4408425f1d1ba4545d010@news.povray.org>
INVALID_ADDRESS wrote:
>"pan" <pan### [at] syixcom> wrote...
>> How can I compile a command line only version of
>> 3.5 for freeBSD 4.7-stable?
>>
>> I'm experimenting with generating images from
>> php scripts on a web server and X just doesn't
>> fit into the schema.
>>
>> Is this possible?
>> IIRC, the old DOS versions were command line ...
>>
>> Is not having the splash screen come up a
>> show stopper for this use of povray?
>
>It seems to me that pov-ray isn't designed to be compiled under all unices.
>You'll probably need to edit the generated Makefiles by hand. The install
>instructions are very vague unfortunately.
>/Daniel

I've recently installed OpenBSD 3.2 on a 'spare' 100 MHz Pentium.

The packages included with OpenBSD 3.2 include 'povray3.1_NO_X11'

The computer is slow, but I can run povray and copy the images it generates
to the webserver document root, where they can be viewed on a Linux
workstation.

(I don't know if I'd want PHP scripts with execution time measured in days,
however)

John.